Mr Herbert Tessier, a London jeweller of Huguenot descent, relocated with his wife to Babbacombe in 1903.
Three acres of land adjacent to their property were purchased to ensure their privacy and they set about establishing the beautiful TessierGarden.
In 1933, Mrs Amy Tessier donated the gardens to Torquay Borough Council with the proviso that it should be a place of rest and quiet for adults only. In recognition of her generosity the SunTemple, with a plaque recording her gift, was erected.
Sadly, in January 1990 a ferocious storm badly damaged the SunTemple and many of the fine specimen trees were uprooted.
In 2007, another casualty of the weather was the original Rose Arch which has since been replaced.
In 1975, the Rotary Club established a small SensoryGarden and in 2007 the garden was awarded the first of its Civic Trust Green Flags.
In 2011 a ‘Black Mulberry’ tree was planted in memory of Don Brooks, the first Chairman of the Friends Group.
TessierGarden, with its opportunities to use sight, touch and smell to evoke plant memories and its safe environment, is a Dementia Friendly Garden.
As the garden continues to evolve it is hoped that the essence of peace and tranquillity is never lost.